top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Law office of Dina Gutierrez

What Kind of Visa Do You Need to Travel to the US?

Many different types of visas are available for travel to the US. Whether you are a student, professional, or relative of someone already in the United States, there is a visa for you. Even as just a tourist visiting the U.S., you will be required to have a visa. With so many options available, you need to make sure you are picking the right type of visa for your needs.

Visitor visas are temporary visas for people wanting to enter the U.S. for business, tourism, or a combination of both. Under a visitor visa, you can do a variety of activities for both professional and personal reasons for a period of time. Visitor visas are either classified as B-1 or B-2

There are also many specialty visas. If you are an investor or trader or the employee of one of these, an E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor Visa may be for you. Or, if you are looking at that great job in the U.S., an H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa is likely the one you would use. J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas allow exchange students, scholars, researchers, and others into the U.S. Other visas deal with employees, artists, and religious workers.

Length of Stay with Your Visa

The type of visa you have will also define how long you can stay in the U.S. Each category has its own rules about how long you are permitted to remain in the U.S. without needing to return to your home country. For example, clergy have a maximum initial stay of three years.

Figuring out what type of visa you need and how to get it can be complicated and can turn into a lengthy process, but a knowledgeable immigration lawyer can help you with this process. If you are looking for a good immigration lawyer in South Florida (Miami, Broward, Palm beach) I can help you determine which type of visa is best for you and what you need to do to get it. Call today! 754-236-9699

32 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment

Jun 10, 2021

The B-2 visa covers travel for the recreational purposes, including family visits, medical treatment and vacation. Students, temporary workers and journalists do not fall under this category, and must apply for different types of visas. To be eligible for a tourist visa, applicants must prove their intent to visit the United States is recreational and that they plan to stay only for a specific, limited period of time. They also must prove they have enough money to cover their expenses once they get here and that they have social and economic ties to their native country. They must show they have a home outside of the United States, and that other important ties that will prevent them from trying to…

Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page